In July I posted about the Riesling tasting I had a small part in organising. Before that we did one for Cab Franc and both of these were pretty professional. Alex Harber put his top-notch wine mind to the task of creating a pleasing order, each wine had its own brown LCBO bag, and guests were given paper rating sheets.
Last weekend a smaller group of friends, me included, did the same on a much more casual scale. Each of us brought a bottle of red to be matched with a steak dinner and a bottle of white for the turkey we had the next night. The identity of our wine was disguised and after sampling we each picked a favourite.
The reds were:
- Henry of Pelham 2007 Cabernet-Merlot, Meritage (Niagara)
- Open 2009 Cab 2 Merlot (Niagara)
- Karlo Estates 2008 Cabernet Franc (PEC)
- Château la Commanderie du Bardelet 2008 (Bordeaux)
- Ogier 2007 Heritages Cote du Rhone (Rhone)